According to the World Health Organization, self-care is defined as taking care of your physical health and well-being. This includes hygiene and nutrition, as well as managing anxiety and stress; having regular health checks with your doctor as preventative healthcare.
What is self-care?
Self-care refers to ways a person can help preserve and maintain their own physical and mental health. It is defined as good practices that incite helpful behaviours that protect or better your health.
It is also paying attention to your body in a physical and emotional sense which helps to identify if something is underlying or not quite right. Most importantly, it is ensuring that you are managing or taking time out to diminish feelings of stress or sadness to protect your mental health.
How can self-care be incorporated into your life?
- Listen to your body
- Ensure you are surrounded by the support of friends or family when you need it most
- Identify activities and behaviours that will be most useful to your own health and wellbeing
- Reach out to a friend or family member through difficult times
- Ensure you have social support and using mindfulness exercises can really benefit your mental health
- Engage in healthy activities that make you feel good, perhaps booking a massage for yourself or organising a social catch up with friends
- Asking your doctor if there are any supplements that can help improve or protect your general health
- Ensuring you have a positive work/life balance is most important
What can you start doing now?
By practising healthy eating behaviours; eating lots of vegetables and fruit has been proven to boost serotonin levels. You can also start by:
- Engaging in different types of activities and exercises that help support your well-being and fitness
- Ensure you get enough sleep
- Try to do something you enjoy every day, even if it is watching a movie or phoning a friend
- Find ways you can relax, especially at the end of the day
- Practice good hygiene habits – perhaps you already have a thorough skincare routine!
Self-care can better your health, strengthen your relationships, and most importantly increase your happiness.